I was having some friends over for dinner, but didn’t have much time after getting home. I had a bell pepper that needed to be used, shrimp in the freezer, and there was skirt steak on sale at Wegmans. The marinade was super easy, and the meat didn’t need to marinate for very long. The meat was very flavorful, and they reheated very well when I took leftovers for lunch the next day.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I receive compensation if you make a purchase using the link (more information).
I made these in my Le Creuset grill pan, but a cast iron skillet would work equally well. These measuring cups are prefect for pouring the marinade in the bags. Also, if you haven’t worked with outside skirt steak before, this post from Serious Eats has good information. I committed a skirt steak crime and cut it parallel to the grain. It was great! If you choose to do this, do so at your own risk and taste the first piece before cutting the rest to make sure it’s not too tough. If it’s tough, go conventional and cut across the grain at an angle.
Chipotle Lime Mixed Fajitas
- Grill with grill baskets, grill pan, or cast iron skillet
- ½ lb shrimp peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ to ¾ lb outside skirt steak
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- Soft tortillas
- Sour cream
- Guacamole half of this recipe is plenty
- Prepare the marinade by combing all ingredients except the olive oil, then whisk in olive oil.
- Remove fatty membrane from steak. Place steak in a plastic freezer bag and set aside.
- Place shrimp in a plastic freezer bag and set aside.
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Place in a separate plastic freezer bag. Split marinade between the three bags.
- Squeeze as much air out of the bags as possible, seal, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to 24 hours.
- Preheat skillet over medium-high heat, or preheat grill.
- Cut bell pepper and onion into medium-sized chunks.
- Drizzle pan with olive oil, or coat grill basket in high-heat cooking spray. Saute veggies until caramelized. Set aside, but keep warm.
- Add steak to the pan and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Flip again and cook each side again for about 2 minutes.
- Remove steak from the pan and let it rest, or transfer to indirect heat on the grill. (This cooked them to medium. Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions. Refer to USDA guidelines.)
- Cook the shrimp and set aside, keeping warm.
- Cook the chicken. While the chicken is cooking, slice the skirt steak.
- Return everything, including veggies, to the pan or grill basket and cook together for no about 1 minute.
- Serve with warm tortillas, sour cream, and guacamole.