I wanted to bake something to take to work this week, but I also had a long day and wanted to do something easy. This cake uses a boxed spice cake mix as the base. I baked this in a loaf pan for easy transportation to work, since my cake carrier is at a friend’s house right now. Next time I’ll probably try it as a bundt cake. It was a huge hit at work, and it didn’t last the day.
Why I have pumpkin pie spice in my spice drawer is still a mystery (I’m not a pumpkin pie fan and would generally just make my own). If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp allspice, ⅛ tsp nutmeg, and ⅛ tsp ginger. You should still add the other ½ tsp cinnamon the cake recipe calls for.
Autumn Spice Pound Cake
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 box instant Jello vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place all cake ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to combine. (Tip regarding eggs: I always break eggs open into a separate small bowl, or put them in the mixing bowl first. This has saved me many times from having to fish egg shells out of a bowl with everything else in it.)
- Line the loaf pan with parchment paper. Use two pieces of paper – one in each direction so the sides of the pan have coverage (see photo). Lining with parchment paper makes the cake easy to remove because you can simply lift the paper.
- Pour batter into the pan. Bake for about 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Make the glaze by whisking together all of the ingredients.
- Pour the glaze over the cake while it’s still in the pan.