Yesterday was a bit of a surprise snow day. It was supposed to snow a little bit, but not all day long. I took half the day off to work on some projects around the house, so I knew I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time making dinner at the end of the day.
I used frozen chicken breasts that had been marinated in Italian dressing because I didn’t have any plain chicken breasts. I usually keep frozen chicken in various marinades in my freezer. If you don’t feel like marinating, just skip that step.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, marinated in Italian dressing (OK if frozen)
- 1 small onion, diced small
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz chicken stock (tip: use tomato can to measure)
- 1 can great northern beans, drained
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or 1 tbsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup frozen corn
- Zatarain’s yellow rice (1 box)
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
Place chicken breasts into the bottom of the crock pot. Add tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, onions, garlic, and corn to the slow cooker. Add seasonings and stir. (Do not re-use the spoon you just used because there is raw chicken in the slow cooker.)
If your chicken breasts are frozen, cook on high for 3 hours, then reduce to low. If they’re not frozen, cook on low. Total cooking time should be about 5-6 hours.
About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, prepare the yellow rice according to package instructions. Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker. Use a fork to shred the meat, return to the slow cooker, and stir.
Serve soup over rice. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream.