Buffalo chicken dip is one of my favorite things to make for a party. I have a few variations I make, including this one. I think this version I made is my favorite so far. I made it for the Super Bowl last weekend. My boyfriend isn’t really into buffalo sauce, but he couldn’t stop eating this. We did an experiment and made fried wontons filled with the dip, too, which I’ll post later.
Sometimes I shred my chicken in the mixer, as described in the buffalo chicken dip post linked above. However, sometimes that makes the pieces too small, so I opted to use a fork this time around.
This makes enough to fill a 2 quart casserole dish. I used a vintage Pyrex 043, which is 1½ quarts, and had some leftovers. I’d recommend splitting the recipe into two smaller (shallower) casserole dishes rather than using a 1½ or 2-quart dish. This is so it heats through faster and you won’t have to keep taking it out of the oven to stir it.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 32 oz cream cheese softened (32 oz is 4 blocks)
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 ranch dressing mix packets
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl (or use stand mixer – that’s what I did, with the flat beater attachment). Beat the cream cheese on medium speed until the blocks are broken up and there aren’t any chunks remaining. (If you don’t have a hand mixer or stand mixer, microwave the cream cheese to get it really soft and just beat it really well with a wooden spoon to get as many chunks out as you can.)
- Add the ranch dressing packets and continue to beat until the ranch is well-incorporated into the cream cheese.
- Add the buffalo sauce and mix on low speed until it’s well-incorporated.
- Add the onion and cheeses, and mix on low speed. Once combined, stir in the cooked chicken.
- Transfer the dip to two baking dishes (you could do one if it’s long and shallow).
- Bake at 350° for about 10-20 minutes, until the dip is heated all the way through. Check is after 10 minutes and just let it keep going as long as the top isn't burning.
- Serve with tortilla chips.