Yesterday was a bit of a surprise snow day. It was supposed to snow a little bit, but not all day long. I took half the day off to work on some projects around the house, so I knew I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of time making dinner at the end of the day.
I used frozen chicken breasts that had been marinated in Italian dressing because I didn’t have any plain chicken breasts. I usually keep frozen chicken in various marinades in my freezer. If you don’t feel like marinating, just skip that step.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Slow cooker
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts marinated in Italian dressing, OK if frozen
- 2 small onion diced
- 1 can great northern beans
- 14 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 14 oz chicken stock tip: save tomato can to use for measuring
- 4 cloves garlic grated (or 1 tbsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic seasoning)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 box Zatarain’s yellow rice
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese for topping
- Sour cream for topping
- Tortilla strip for topping
- Place chicken breasts into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, beans, chicken stock, onions, garlic, and corn to the slow cooker.
- Add seasonings and stir. (Do not re-use the spoon you just used because there is raw chicken in the slow cooker.)
- If your chicken breasts are frozen, cook on high for 3 hours, then reduce to low. If they’re not frozen, cook on low. Total cooking time should be about 5-6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve, prepare the yellow rice according to package instructions.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker. Use a fork to shred the meat, return to the slow cooker, and stir.
- Serve soup over rice. Garnish with Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips, and sour cream.