This chili was perfect for the snow day we had here a couple of weeks ago. I let it simmer on the stove for several hours, but it could also be done in a slow cooker. The beef was super tender, and the chili had a lot of flavor. I’ve included instructions for either method below. I also made an easy cheddar cornbread to serve with it. The chili makes great leftovers – I gave a couple of bowls away, and had plenty for my lunch box for several days.
- Dutch oven
- 2 lb sirloin cut into small pieces
- 2 medium onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic grated
- 2 jalapeno peppers minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 poblano peppers
- 42 oz canned petite diced tomatoes (one 28oz can + one 14oz can)
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup beef stock
- ⅓ cup cranberry or apple juice
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Maggi liquid seasoning (OK to substitute Worcestershire)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch kosher salt
- Place poblano peppers on a baking sheet under the broiler. Roast until the top side has a nice char, then rotate and roast the other sides. Remove from oven and let cool to a temperature you can comfortably touch.
- Preheat dutch oven to medium-high heat. (If you’re using a slow cooker instead, preheat a large skillet.)
- Brown the meat. Add onions, garlic, jalapeno, and red peppers. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to soften.
- If you’re continuing with a slow cooker instead of the dutch oven on the stovetop, carefully transfer the ingredients from the skillet to the slow cooker. If using the dutch oven, continue with the ingredients in the dutch oven.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. If using the dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce to low, and cover. Cook for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I think I cooked it for about 4 hours). For the slow cooker, get it started on high for about an hour, then reduce to low for at least a couple of more hours.
- Serve topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.