I needed something quick and easy to make for dinner the other night. I’d just been to Lidl, and I got a pack of tricolor fusilli pugliesi, which I really wanted to use. This recipe would be good with pretty much any type of pasta, though. This is definitely coming to work with me for lunch this week.
Pasta With Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 box pasta of your choice I used fusilli pugliesi from Lidl. Penne, rotini, campanelle, and similar pastas would also be good choices.
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic minced or grated
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz burrata or ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan (OK to use more grated parm. This is for topping at the end.)
- Place crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion powder, basil, and salt into a large saucepan and stir to combine.
- Cover and heat on medium. Once it starts to pop or bubble, reduce to low.
- Let the sauce cook on low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the sauce periodically and add more salt if needed. (You can begin cooking the pasta before the sauce is done.)
- Add heavy cream into the sauce, stirring constantly until it’s well-blended. Do the same for ¼ cup of the grated parmesan. If you’re using the sauce right away, keep it warm on the stovetop until it’s ready to be used. Otherwise, refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain (do not rinse) and return the pasta to the pot.
- Add the sauce and stir until noodles are evenly coated.
- Serve with a small scoop of burrata or ricotta on top, and garnish with grated or shaved parmesan.