This post may contain affiliate links. I receive compensation when a purchase is made using an affiliate link (more information).
The boyfriend and I made chicken fajitas the other night. It was a nice easy dinner to make at the end of a work week. We used the rest of the chipotle lime crema from the mahi mahi tacos, too. We also had grilled corn on the cob on the side.
I know the Italian dressing is a little interesting in the ingredients list for the marinade. I already had chicken breasts marinating in Italian dressing and changed course to make the Fajitas.
We made these on the grill, but you could also make them in a cast iron skillet or using a grill pan inside.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Flour tortillas
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion (medium)
- Other toppings as desired (diced tomatoes, sour cream, lettuce, cheese, etc.)
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Juice from 1 lime
- Prepare the chicken marinade. Combine ½ cup Italian dressing, juice and zest of 2 limes, 2 cloves garlic (minced or grated), 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp chili powder, and ¼ tsp cayenne.
- Place chicken in zip-top bag or other air tight container. Pour in marinade. Seal container and transfer to refrigerator. Marinate at least 2 hours.
- When you’re ready to begin cooking, cut onions into strips or petals. Cut bell pepper into similar sizes and place in a bowl. Coat with juice from 1 lime, 1 glove (minced or grated) garlic, and ½ tsp cumin. Set aside until ready to grill.
- Grill chicken breasts until cooked all the way through. (Not giving a cooking time here because it’s highly dependent on your grill, the size of the chicken breasts, etc.) Grill veggies at the same time (see next step.)
- Grill the veggies in a grill basket or on aluminum foil, turning them periodically so they cook evenly and don’t burn on one side.
- Once the chicken is cooked all the way through, transfer it to a cutting board and cut it into small strips.
- Warm the tortillas either on the grill (heat off or indirect heat) or in the microwave.