My boyfriend and I grilled bone-in chicken breasts with BBQ sauce the other night, and I took home some leftovers. I was going to make a chicken salad, but I wanted to do a warm sandwich. The chicken salad I made would be good cold, too, especially in a wrap. I’m going to be adding the chicken salad to my lunch box rotation for sure! I made these in a regular pan on the stove, but they would have also been really good as a panini.
BBQ Chicken Salad Melts
- 1½ cups pulled/shredded leftover BBQ chicken
- 2 tsp minced onion (fresh onion)
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise (recommended: Duke's)
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices havarti cheese
- Combine chicken, onion, celery seed, BBQ sauce, and mayo in a bowl and stir until well-combined. Assemble each sandwich with cheese and chicken salad. Put the cheese on the bottom half of the sandwich.
- Spread softened butter on the outside of the top slice of bread. Preheat a pan on the stovetop over medium heat, Melt a small amount of butter (~1tbsp) in the pan. Place each sandwich in the pan, with the buttered side up.
- Once the bottom piece of bread is toasted and golden brown, flip the sandwich. The next side will likely cook a lot faster. Remove from the pan and serve once the other side is golden brown.