This post may contain affiliate links (more information).
This is a great recipe for fresh basil. My boyfriend has a few basil plants, so it was nice to be able to go right outside and clip off some leaves. This is also a really good recipe for summer. It’s still a warm side, but it’s also very light. We had this with the grilled chicken caprese.
Parmesan & Basil Orzo
- ½ cup orzo
- 1 cup water
- 1 cube chicken or vegetable bullion
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 6 leaves fresh basil chopped
- Dissolve chicken bullion in 1 cup hot water and set aside.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add butter to the pan. Once the butter is melted, add the orzo.
- Stir while the dry orzo cooks until it’s toasted and slightly golden.
- Add the bullion mixture and garlic powder. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the orzo is has a firm chewy texture.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil and parmesan.