My boyfriend has two huge basil plants on his deck, and we had a fairly large harvest this weekend. He wanted to make pesto. We thought of several different recipes, but I ultimately decided on a pasta with grilled shrimp, zucchini, and squash. We had some leftover, which will most likely become a pizza with ricotta, mozzarella, tomato, and pepperoni later in the week.
- Blender or food processor
- 4 cups fresh basil stems removed
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- ½ cup pine nuts lightly toasted
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the ingredients start to get combined.
- With the hole of the lid open, stream in the olive oil while the blender or food processor is running. Continue blending slowly until everything is blended. Stop and scrape the sides of the container as needed.