Updated August 2, 2020.
This post contains affiliate links. I receive compensation from purchases made using affiliate links (more information).
So I had this eggnog liqueur left over from the party I had last weekend. I wanted to use it up, and I’m not really one to drink eggnog, so I wanted to come up with a dessert concoction of some kind. Because I’m not the biggest eggnog fan, I wanted to do something I could easily give away. I thought about fudge, didn’t have all of the ingredients, so cupcakes it was. I completely cheated and used a boxed cake mix, but hey we can all use a shortcut every now and then!
I polled the masses on social media for ideas for frosting. A friend suggested a cream cheese frosting (which I like about as much as I like eggnog) with nutmeg. Other commenters were leaning heavily toward a cinnamon buttercream. I decided to combine the two ideas and go with a cream cheese frosting with cinnamon and nutmeg. The cupcakes were so totally sweet that I thought the cream cheese would be a better match than a buttercream.
I can’t even begin to describe how much I love these cupcakes. I don’t like eggnog or cream cheese frosting, but I’m obsessed with these. I gave a lot away, but I might have to make another batch!
Eggnog Cupcakes With Cinnamon & Nutmeg Cream Cheese Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box, but substitute eggnog or eggnog liqueur for the water.
- Bake according to the instructions on the box (approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean). Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and butter.
- Beat in cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add powdered sugar, ¼ cup at a time, and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes until the ingredients are well-incorporated and a nice frosting consistency has formed.
- Frost each cupcake and top with sprinkles if desired.