I was making braised short rib risotto on Christmas, but wanted to put out some snacks beforehand. I had a Costco cheese flight that everyone has been raving about (yes, it was amazing), along with some salami and cherry honey. I thought a warm dip would be nice to serve, too, but this was a little last minute and it’s not like I could go to the store. I had a block of cream cheese and a bunch of shredded cheddar cheese, which always makes a solid foundation for a dip. I rummaged around in the pantry and found the onion dip packet. I warned everyone that this dip was highly experimental and they didn’t have to pretend to like it. Thankfully my boyfriend, mom, and friends have gotten used to my food experiments! But the dip was actually good, so that wasn’t a problem anyway. We served it with crackers, but it would be really good with kettle chips, too.
Warm Onion & Cheddar Dip
- Baking dish
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 4 oz sour cream
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. (If you are putting this in the oven with other party food that needs to be cooked on another temperature, this will be fine between 350° and 400°.)
- Beat together the cream cheese and sour cream.
- Add the onion soup mix and beat until the mix is well-incorporated.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Transfer dip to a baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until dip is warmed throughout. Stir before serving. Serve with kettle chips or crackers.