This recipe combines two of my favorite food items: barbecue sauce and grits. Unfortunately it’s one of those recipes I just wasn’t able to photograph as well as I’d like, but it is delicious! I made an outstanding slow cooker Mongolian beef a few weeks ago. It was extremely flavorful, and the beef was fall apart tender. There will be lots of slow cooker beef recipes in the future that use a similar method to the Mongolian beef, and this is one of those recipes. It’s super easy, very hands-off, and versatile enough to handle a variety of sauce and gravy options.
So yes, this recipe is a slow cooker recipe, and therefore the beef tips are not barbecued (as in, the cooking method), but they are cooked in a barbecue sauce. I used a Kansas City style sauce for these, but because I’m originally from South Carolina, I added some mustard powder. Yeah, I’m partial to the South Carolina mustard sauce. The amount I added was enough to give it a different flavor dimension, but the mustard was definitely not front and center.
I was originally going to make these for sandwiches, but then I realized that my cornstarch is at my boyfriend’s house and I didn’t have any sandwich rolls. The cornstarch would have been necessary to thicken the sauce a bit. I looked in my pantry to see what I had available to serve this over. I had a few choices: rice, various pastas, spaetzle, and grits. I love grits, and I thought this would be a good way to incorporate them into a dinner entree.
BBQ Beef Tips With Cheddar Grits
- Slow cooker
- 1 lb sirloin sliced thin
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ⅓ cup quick grits (not instant)
- 2 tbsp butter cut into cubes
- ⅔ cup cheddar cheese
- Stir together barbecue sauce, chicken stock, and mustard powder in the slow cooker.
- Add beef and stir until well-coated.
- Cook on low for 4 hours (recommended) or high for 2 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, or when ready to serve, begin to prepare the grits.
- Whisk together chicken stock, heavy cream, salt, and white pepper in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk in grits.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes, whisking frequently. (Be careful because grits occasionally pop from the pot, and they will be hot.)
- Stir in butter and cheddar cheese.
- Turn off heat, cover with lid, and let the grits rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve beef tips over grits.