The idea for this recipe started when I wanted to make crock pot salsa chicken that one of my friend made recently. I didn’t want to use all of my salsa for that, though. I remembered I had a can of enchilada sauce I recently got on clearance. I thought it might be good if I cooked the chicken in the enchilada sauce.
The chicken keeps well in the fridge. I made a second batch of enchiladas the next day with the left over chicken. You could also use the chicken on a taco salad or in a quesadilla.
This post may contain affiliate links. I receive compensation when a purchase is made using an affiliate link (more information).
Inside Out Chicken Enchiladas
- Place chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Add the enchilada sauce on top of the chicken, then top with the taco seasoning.
- Cook on low for 2 hours. Check chicken to ensure it's done.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker. Shred with a fork. Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stir, and reduce the slow cooker to warm.
- If you need to cook the rice, do so now. Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Coat a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Assemble each enchilada: Place rice, some shredded cheddar cheese, and chicken into each tortilla. Roll and place in the baking dish. Top the enchiladas with more shredded cheddar cheese and some salsa.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and top with sour cream if desired.