This post may contain affiliate links. I receive compensation from purchases made through affiliate links (more information).
These breakfast taquitos are my new addiction for make-ahead and reheat breakfast. I was getting tired of English muffins. I have to be in the mood for sweet breakfast foods, so I usually go for something savory. I also don’t like a very large breakfast, so a breakfast burrito is a little much. I love these because one is great for small appetites or kids, and you can have two or more if you want a larger portion. You can also serve with a side of home fries, tots, hash browns, or (one of my favorites) grits!
Bacon: The recipe calls for cooked bacon. I usually keep some pre-cooked bacon hanging out in my fridge. If you need to make the bacon, it will add about 10 minutes to the cooking time. You can also omit the bacon or substitute sauteed peppers and onions for a vegetarian option.
Flour or corn tortillas: I use flour tortillas because I’m not a huge fan of soft corn tortillas. You can definitely make these with soft corn tortillas if that’s what you prefer or if you need to make them gluten-free.
Reheating: These can reheat in the oven or the microwave. To save time, I place them on a baking sheet while the oven preheats to 350, and set a timer for 20 minutes. That way, they get a head start cooking and there isn’t time wasted waiting for the oven to preheat. You can also reheat them in the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- Baking sheet
- 6 eggs
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 10 strips cooked bacon Omit for vegetarian taquitos
- 1¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese (Or another shredded cheese of your choice, such as Monterey Jack or a Mexican-style blend)
- 1¼ cups salsa a chunky style is best
- 10 soft tortillas Fajita (small) size, no larger than 6 inches. Can use flour or corn tortillas (corn for gluten-free).
- Cooking spray (Or butter)
Accompaniments (As Desired)
- taco sauce
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°. Preheat a skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk together eggs and taco seasoning.
- Lightly grease skillet with nonstick cooking spray or butter.
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet and cook as scrambled eggs. Use a spatula to push the eggs toward the middle and flip the eggs around as they cook. Cook the eggs until they are just done, about 5 minutes.
- Remove eggs from heat and set aside.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Assemble each taquito by placing one crumbled strip of bacon, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 2 tablespoons salsa onto the middle of the tortilla. Divide the scrambled eggs equally among the taquitos.
- Roll each taquito tightly and place seam side down on a baking sheet. Tip: Use a knife to hold the filling in place as you start to roll. If your taquitos seem to be unrolling, move them close together on the baking sheet or secure each one with a toothpick.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until taquitos are crispy.
- Serve with desired accompaniments. If making ahead of time, store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.