This post may contain affiliate links. I receive compensation from purchases made through affiliate links (more information).
Boston cream pie is a spongey yellow butter cake filled with custard and topped with a chocolate glaze. What’s Cooking America has a post with a brief history of the Boston cream pie. My cupcake recipe deviates a bit from an absolute traditional recipe because I use chocolate fudge frosting as a shortcut instead of a glaze.
I love baking from scratch, but I usually keep a few boxed cake mixes on hand. It’s easy to dress up a boxed cake mix and make more unique cupcakes. Some of my other favorite cupcakes to make with boxed mix are
- Eggnog Cupcakes With Cinnamon Nutmeg Cream Cheese Frosting
- Strawberries & Cream Filled Cupcakes
- Spice Cupcakes With Apple Pie Filling and Cinnamon Buttercream
Adding a filling to cupcakes adds a nice dimension, and it’s not hard to do. I use an apple corer to remove the centers of the cupcakes. My Cupcake Baking Guide has more tips about baking, filling, and storing cupcakes as well as 50 recipes from some of my favorite food blogs.
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or number on box instructions)
- 1 cup water (or amount on box instructions)
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil (or amount on box instructions)
- Any other ingredients listed on cake mix box
- 1 container chocolate frosting
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk cold
- Bake cupcakes per package instructions. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare pudding according to package instructions.
- Use an apple corer to remove the centers of each cupcake.
- Transfer filling to a piping bag with a large tip. Fill each cupcake with pudding.
- Frost the cupcakes with the chocolate icing.
Step by Step Photos and Recipe Notes
Bake cupcakes per package instructions. The ingredients listed in the recipe section are for Duncan Hines cake mix. If you use a different brand, use the ingredients that your box calls for.
Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. Prepare pudding according to package instructions. Use an apple corer to remove the centers of each cupcake.
Transfer the filling to a piping bag with a large tip. Fill each cupcake with pudding.
Frost the cupcakes. Store in an airtight container.
Leave a Reply