These baby potatoes are roasted in the oven until they’re crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, then finished with butter, fresh chives, and parmesan cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. I receive compensation from purchases made through affiliate links (more information).
This is one of my favorite roasted potato sides to make. The outsides of the potatoes get perfectly crisp, and the insides are soft and fluffy. It’s also a bonus that I can use fresh chives from my garden right now!
- I use a cast iron skillet for this recipe, but a rimmed baking sheet is also a fine choice for roasted potatoes. I recommend using a cast iron skillet if you have one because it really promotes the crisping on the outside of the potatoes.
- The potatoes need a good coating of olive oil. Add a little more olive oil to achieve a good coating if all of the potatoes aren’t well-coated after you stir them.
- Make sure you use garlic powder, not garlic salt. I don’t use fresh garlic in this recipe because it burns easily and these have to roast for a long time. If you want to use fresh garlic (or jarred minced garlic), I recommend adding it the second time the potatoes come out of the oven. This will hopefully prevent burning.
- Freeze dried chives can be used instead of fresh chives. I would use ¾ teaspoon dried chives in this recipe if you substitute.
These potatoes go well with a variety of main dishes and other sides. Here are some suggestions:
- Honey Sriracha Grilled Pork Tenderloin
- Soy Glazed Salmon
- Lemon Pepper Chicken Kabobs
- Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken (recipe from Sweet and Savory Meals)
- Grilled Chicken Caprese
- Spicy Honey Dijon Roasted Carrots
- Parmesan & Garlic Crispy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Parmesan & Chive Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400° for convection or 425° for conventional. (If your oven has convection bake and convection roast settings, use convection bake.)
- Place halved potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and garlic powder. Toss/stir until all potatoes are well-coated.1½ lbs baby potatoes, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1 tsp garlic powder
- Transfer potatoes to a cast iron skillet (recommended) or a rimmed baking sheet.
- Transfer the potatoes to the oven. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and stir the potatoes (this will help with even cooking). I use a metal spatula for this, but a wooden spoon would also work. Cook for another 15 minutes, remove, and stir again. Finish cooking for a final 15 minutes.
- Drizzle the potatoes with the melted butter. Add chives and parmesan cheese and stir to coat. (Note: If you used a rimmed baking sheet, I recommend transferring the potatoes to a mixing bowl for this step).2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp chopped fresh chives, 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese